ICSC held its sixty- sixth session at the headquarters of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UN ECA) in Addis Ababa from 31 March to 11 April 2008.
Following the session, United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations officials made a special series of presentations on their activities in East Africa to the Commission and members of its secretariat, and eight of the fifteen Commission members also accepted an invitation to visit Peacekeeping Missions in Liberia and in Côte d'Ivoire in an effort to understand better the real conditions of work and life facing common system staff members serving in difficult duty stations.
During the session, the Commission considered the following issues:
Review of the pay and benefits system:
- Performance Management – innovative practices;
- Assessment of the pilot study of broad banding/pay-for performance;
- Education grant: review of the methodology for determining the grant.
Conditions of service of the Professional and higher categories:
- Children’s and secondary dependants’ allowance: review of the methodology;
- Report of the Advisory Committee on Post Adjustment Questions on its thirtieth session.
Conditions of service of the General Service and other locally recruited categories, inter alia:
- Survey of best prevailing conditions of employment at Vienna;
- Review of the job evaluation standards for the General Service and related categories.
Conditions of service in the field: effectiveness and impact of recruitment and retention measures at difficult duty stations.
Posted on 14 May 2008